Sunday, April 11, 2010

Unique Storyboard Method

The process of using receipt tape to lay out ideas and transitions was more interesting to me than watching the final result. In the video, I found the visuals to be a little distracting - I had to listen to her voice and try to figure out the drawings at the same time. Therefore, I choose to focus on her voice rather than the specifics of the drawing. Nancy Duarte has a very soothing and calm voice - she is pleasant to listen to. I like how she took time to breathe and used pausing wisely. She knew when to slow down her words, pause to provide time for us to catch up, and then when to speak faster and with more energy. This aspect of presentations seems to get the least attention from the design field. I think we focus primarily on how visuals look rather than voice or content. In an information age, where we are exposed to thousands of messages a day, I think it is important to not get too distracted by how visuals look to compose a complete message. I actually think it is easy to hide behind a powerpoint or visual presentation - and that speeches with no or few visuals require a different kind of boldness and energy. I like how Kevin O'Malley said "Use slides only as support. They support you - not the other way around."

I also appreciated how she mentioned transitions. This is one of the hardest parts for me - creating smooth transitions between different point of information. I can easily lay out the main points and what needs to be said - but struggle to make it all work together as one complete story. Do you have any tips for how to make great transitions?


No comments:

Post a Comment